Wednesday, June 23, 2010

I'm gonna rain on your parade

My parents used to be the type that planned everything out. Everything had to be written on mom's calender, she had to know all the details, planned things way in advance etc. A year ago, that all changed and we are now the spontaneous planners. If it works at the time, lets do it. Here's an example of why we are now this way.

I month ago, my parents planned for a trip this week. We'd drive up to Nauvoo, IL which is one of the many church history sites for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. We planned on spending a couple days there, then poss going up to Iowa to drop my sister, niece, and nephew off at their new home. Then, going to St. Louis for a wedding on down to Memphis for my St. Jude appt. Finally we would return home all in a week.
Now, let me tell you what has been doing on with me

A month ago, I picked up a cold with a cough. The cold lasted for 2 weeks, before I was put on antibiotic and it went away. The cough persisted. I've been to the doctor several times, and my lungs are clear, which is a good thing that it hasn't spread to pneumonia. Now, my cough isn't one of those cute *cough*cough....no it's more of a COUGH, COUGH,COUGH raspy hair raising ones that everyone thinks you are the nastiest person to be around! Then, the cold came back a week after it went away! Now, here I am almost a month later with the raspy cough, a cold and much more. Tuesday, I woke up with a secondary infection as my left ear was in pain. I went to the doc, was put on an antibiotic and pain killers. At that point, my right ear was clear and looked great. The antibiotic would kill the infection and the cold! That night, my tympanic membrane ruptured in my ear. That was painful, but once it ruptured it relieved the pressure in my ear! It's drained little by little since then, which they said is good. The following day, I woke up with my right ear hurting and obviously infected. We called to let the doctor know and they decided to have me come in right away. They gave me IV antibiotics, a medicine that will boost my immune system, and I get a CT scan of my sinus/lungs.

Yesterday, the day we should be packing, I was dead tired, my head was in a fish bowel, and I could hardly hear. When people speak it's like they're whispering unless they talk straight to my face. When the speak up, I hear them loud and clear, but it's not fun to feel like your being yelled out! They say my hearing should not be effected after everything clears up...thank goodness!

Anyways, we got the results from the CT scan and all my sinus are block and infected. Which means, at any point I could run a fever since I have a head that is infected, 2 ears infected and a ruptured tympanic membrane. So, we opted out of the trip since I don't want to be admitted to a hospital up in IL, IA, or MO with a fever and I was dead tired. I feel most comfortable at St. Jude if anything were to happen.

Today, I'm feeling better, though still a little tired. I'm on about 3 antibiotics. My head is still in a fish bowel, but I can tell improvement. After 4 days of antibiotics, I can taste and somewhat smell!! Beautiful! I've smelt/tasted for about 5 days out of the month. Food is great!

So, I've successfully ruined another trip. In dec. my parents booked a trip to New York for their anniversary, which was cancelled b/c we thought I had infection, that I did not have. Our trip to Charleston was cancelled because I got a stomach bug. Here we are with another trip cancelled because I have an infected head. But, my family is so great, goes on with things, without showing disappointment.

ahh, this would be a perfect invention for me!!

3 comments:

Melissa Hodgen said...

Where did you find that pictures? We should try and rig that up stat.

If you ask anyone around here, we'd rather be around Lindsey that around any historical/vacation site. Now let's get to scrapbookin'.

Pitcherpost said...

that's a funny picture. And I think YOU do pretty great too, going with the flow and not showing disappointment when things don't work out, give yourself some credit. And I'm really really sorry about your horrible cold/cough. I fairly certain we passed it on to you. I promise that kids were totally healthy until we were a few hours away from chattanooga, and then...runny noses happened.

M said...

Sorry to hear you've been so sick. But your family is wonderful and so supportive. They'd rather be with you than any trip, that's for sure. Every day is a gift.