Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Glorious SUNSHINE!

Recap for the last 3 weeks of January:
*Jan 11th-Mom and I leave Chattanooga and drive to Memphis
*12th-19 Have a doctor's appt. and help Melanie out with the new baby, but mostly
entertain my Aubrey girl!
*19-28 From Memphis we drive down to Florida....the BEACH!
*28-31 Leave Pensacola, FL and drive to Birmingham to visit Melissa and family
*31 Drive home
When we left Melanie's house, we drove to Pensacola, Florida. A friend of ours works down in Florida every now and then. She graciously invited us to stay with her for the week. I haven't been to the beach since Feb 2008! Last year, we had 2 beach trips planned, but I ended up spending my beach trip on the "island(b/c my whole world consisted of St. Jude)" of St. Jude. After my trip, I realized why we go each year...because it's fabulous and a mental necessesity!

Since its been cold/gloomy with the winter months, I need that "pick me up" from the sun. Ahh, now I know why Spring/Summer are my favorite seasons. Everything is better when the sun comes out! The weather was around 65 with some wind. Everything fit my situation perfect in that it was 65, the sun was out, the wind made it so I could bear wearing a jacket(to protect my arms), and the water was cold(I can't emerge my central line in water). The change in scenery was just perfect!
What I primarily did: enjoyed the beach, sun and sound of the waves, took mult. walks on the beach each day, explored the cute town, and studied for my class. But hey, if I have to study, I'd rather do it there with this view and atmosphere:















ok-so the view was better in person, but that railing is in the way, now add in the sound of the waves-perfect!)

Special note to my doctors-see the hat, covered arms/legs, and sunscreen(they get onto me every visit that I need to apply no matter the weather for the day. Lets be honest, at home I apply around 1% of the time. Why apply in the winter months at all?(I know that answer, I'm just saying)Plus, who wants to walk around feeling greasy all day and when you walk in a room people instantly smell that someone put on sunscreen. BUT, this week I applied and re-applied(gold star for me).

The verdict-Success! I made it through being in the sun most of the day and not burning! Lets just say the trouble I'd be in among A-my dad B-my doctor C-my body, was enough to encourage to put it on. My body,if I did burn,(increased risk due to radiation and the meds I'm currently on) it would cause:inflammation to repair the damaged tissue, which would stimulate the bone marrow, which could stimulate graft vs host...and that's no bueno. I never thought I'd ever find the day when I was so happy to have WHITE skin!


















Our friend, Mrs. Tyner,took us to the end of the beach where their are no condos in the way so you get a perfect view of the sunset!

We drove to Destin and visited a family that was at the Target House around the same as us. It was so good to see them again and visit for hours. I'm amazed at how strong and positive the mom/son are despite the passing of her daughter/sister. They truly are an amazing family. I guess it's something about vacation that puts a little "vacation" in me. You know where you think that b/c your on vacation, you can do it this one time. So, we drove to an awesome outlet mall in Foley, AL (FYI-they were each individual stores so not one big mall full of germs, my Doctor said I could get out a little more-he knows we're pretty strict, the stores had hardly anyone, I sanitized my hands frequently, and left without an illness). I highly recommend it-it had every store you can think of..seriously just type in Foley AL outlet mall and look at store directory. This may/may not have helped the fact that since March 2009 I've been in 4 stores:a shoe, fabric, cookie, and grocery store. I was way overwhelmed by the mass amounts of stores, but once I walked in, settled right into my place.

After the beach, we drove up and spend 2 1/2 days with Melissa only to find out that back home in Chattanooga, they were having a snow storm(I think we got around 5 inches). It was sad driving from FL to AL and seeing the temperature drop to 30. We got a call on Friday that all four roads up the mountain I live on were closed. People were stranded off the mountain, some even got hotels. They did eventually open 1 road up. Our power went out, so mom and I waited in Alabama until Dad called to confirm that we had heat and hot water! I was sad to miss the excitement of the snow, but glad I made it home just barely in time to see this while driving down my driveway(the ice on the trees melted that afternoon). If it's going to be cold, then it needs to snow! Now, my next trip is back to St. Jude next Tuesday. We will stay till Sunday for my niece's baby blessing. Man, I feel like I'm quite the travler. Someday I'll be able to expand the distance I travel, but for now Memphis(to see Melanie and Family/St.Jude), Birmingham(to see Melissa and Family) and the additional beach trip suites me just fine :)

6 comments:

noelle said...

lindsey, you're so cute! i could feel myself grinning through that whole part of your post about being in the sunshine. love it. love you. xo.

Rebekah said...

Awwww....the beach!! What a gorgeous view. And Spring and Summer are my favorites too. That vitamin D from the sun is a necessity!! I'll live vicariously through you since we are just getting rain, rain, rain here.

And man, what a busy month! I'm glad you got a week of vacation in there somewhere. :)

Oh, and gorgeous snow pic!

Melissa Hodgen said...

Love the new blog look!

What a photographer you are becoming. The beach and ice pictures were gorgeous. I can only imagine what it looked like in person.

I agree, a beach trip once a year is like taking the sacrament on sunday...completey recentering. Speaking of which, it's about time for me to "recenter" for the year. Not so sure that's going to happen.

I bet your glad to be home, but also glad to know that you'll be on the road again in a few days.

We loved having you and can't wait to see you soon!

Allison said...

I'm glad you had fun, you deserve it! I loved reading through this post!! Love ya!!

M said...

A lot of fun! It's nice to see your mother's photo as well. Have a nice day!

Pitcherpost said...

I've enjoyed being one of your 3 destinations that you are frequenting. You just left and I want you to come back already! I think I'll try and make it to chattanooga as soon as I can! That snow picture is so beautiful!