For a while, people have been asking about my plans for school. I've always known I'd be able to return this fall, but returning for summer semesters was the question. For months we've been following my T/B cell count because that level is basically my ticket to freedom. I need my T cells to be above 400 to be "free" meaning walk outside without a mask, go off my low bacteria diet, be in crowds, not be so germ cautious etc. If you remember back in November, I had graft vs host, so I was put on immune suppressants/steroids. Let me just say they are to a dang good job of suppressing. My T cells were at 280 in Nov, Dec-240, Jan- 190, Feb- 200, and now are around 230.
Even though my T cells aren't where we'd want them, my doctor told me that I could return to college this summer, but I'd need to wear my mask outside, stay on the low bacteria diet, fly home each month for check-ups(meaning miss 3 days of school aka-equals stress b/c I hate missing school) etc.
The choice was now mine as to whether I felt comfortable going summer or waiting till fall. Of course I wanted to return back to school right away to see my friends and continue on with my degree in nursing. I've been so lucky to have amazing roommates with fun times together. But, as I started weighing pros and cons and thinking about my health, it seemed that their were more cons to returning summer as opposed to fall. By fall, I'd have a good immune system, wouldn't have to wear my mask outside, be stronger(cause I'm pretty weak right now), be able to handle the full shebang of the college load(I know right now if I went back I'd just stress myself out with nursing classes and that's probably not good for my already weak immune system), and would be able to return with my brother. Right now he is serving a 2 year mission for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He returns home this August and is most likely going to BYUI. So, that would be fun to drive out with my brother and have him near. As far as nursing, I would've graduated this past Christmas with my ASN. In the long scheme of things, what harm is one more semester going to do? I'm sad not to see my friends/roommates, but excited to have a summer at home. My T cells should be better, hopefully to the point where I can get out! I've been home for almost a year, but really haven't "been home".
The choice was now mine as to whether I felt comfortable going summer or waiting till fall. Of course I wanted to return back to school right away to see my friends and continue on with my degree in nursing. I've been so lucky to have amazing roommates with fun times together. But, as I started weighing pros and cons and thinking about my health, it seemed that their were more cons to returning summer as opposed to fall. By fall, I'd have a good immune system, wouldn't have to wear my mask outside, be stronger(cause I'm pretty weak right now), be able to handle the full shebang of the college load(I know right now if I went back I'd just stress myself out with nursing classes and that's probably not good for my already weak immune system), and would be able to return with my brother. Right now he is serving a 2 year mission for our church, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He returns home this August and is most likely going to BYUI. So, that would be fun to drive out with my brother and have him near. As far as nursing, I would've graduated this past Christmas with my ASN. In the long scheme of things, what harm is one more semester going to do? I'm sad not to see my friends/roommates, but excited to have a summer at home. My T cells should be better, hopefully to the point where I can get out! I've been home for almost a year, but really haven't "been home".
Yes, I've been in my house all day, but I haven't been out doing all the fun stuff I desire. My parents realize that mentally, I can't stay home all day. Their motto is "quality germs". Meaning- going to the movies, beach, or friends house is fine, but going grocery shopping or running errands is not good quality. To me, really anything is "good quality", but I understand their idea.
Now as I explore my options of what I can do this summer, without the stress of nursing classes (I'm take some online classes, but they're just religion so not demanding), I'm excited for the possibilities. I tend to get a little out of control in my "planing" because I have a whole list in my head :) In general, I'm excited that I'll be home to spend time with my family, spend more time with my sister and her fam in Memphis, help my other sister and her family move to Iowa, see my brother after being gone for 2 yrs, visit roommates, go on vacations, babysit again, hang out with friends back for summer, and just enjoy a beautiful summer "FREE" from my limitations! Oh what a party that day will be when I find out my t-cell is above 400( I get giddy thinking about it). Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying for those T cells to move on up there!
Now as I explore my options of what I can do this summer, without the stress of nursing classes (I'm take some online classes, but they're just religion so not demanding), I'm excited for the possibilities. I tend to get a little out of control in my "planing" because I have a whole list in my head :) In general, I'm excited that I'll be home to spend time with my family, spend more time with my sister and her fam in Memphis, help my other sister and her family move to Iowa, see my brother after being gone for 2 yrs, visit roommates, go on vacations, babysit again, hang out with friends back for summer, and just enjoy a beautiful summer "FREE" from my limitations! Oh what a party that day will be when I find out my t-cell is above 400( I get giddy thinking about it). Until then I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying for those T cells to move on up there!


(random but b/c every post needs a pic-can you tell what season I'm so ready for!)
4 comments:
You are the best! You always put a smile on my face :) That will be fun to have you back in the Fall, some of the girls from our semester (I still totally consider you part of our semester group :) will still be here finishing Bachelors. Anyways I'll be praying for those T cells of yours! ;) Have tons of fun this summer!
I wish I was going to be back in the fall! I would have loved to see you! I'm happy for you though! That will be exciting for you to come back. Love ya Linds!
Wow, I'm glad you posted this! I was wondering and asked your Mom about your plans a while ago...I guess if I paid more attention to my google reader...
I bet you're so ready to get back. I am! And I've only been home for a couple months. It's just so nice to get back to friends and a schedule and earning a degree! At least you will be around to see everything turn green! I miss that.
I know you're so ready to go back to school, but I really think you made the right decision!! College = lots of germs and lots of stress. Plus, selfishly, I'm excited to have you so close by!
Post a Comment