As my family knows and my roommates learned, I’m a big germ freak. I didn’t used to be this way, but maybe this post will help clarify how I developed this obsession.Each time I get blood work, my ANC or resistance to infection is calculated. A normal ANC for a person not immune suppressed, ranges from 1500-2000. This means that the risk of developing an infection is greatly decreased. In my case, the chemo decreases my body’s normal defense against infection. Currently, my ANC is 500 which means that I’m at high risk for infection. Even the common bacteria that we all have in our mouth can give me an infection. In the past, I’ve had an ANC of 0 meaning it is a guarantee that I will develop an infection, since I lack to defense to prevent it. Once I develop an infection, I run a fever and get admitted to the hospital for antibiotics. So, this issue makes it hard to plan anything because at any moment, I can run a fever and I’m back in the hospital. To prevent an infection, I have to follow some guidelines. I live a low bacteria diet/life. However, the main prevention is washing my hands. In addition, I avoid crowds and wear this scary looking mask, which helps filter the air I breath. I'm sure this mask probably scares all the little kids, sorry guys.
So an additional bad part to this: I have received beautiful flower arrangements. I LOVE flowers and very much appreciate them. However, as of today, my doctor won't allow me to have them around. My ANC will most of the time be too low and flowers carry fungus/junk. I don't sound ungrateful in anyway. I really do appreciate them and look forward to the time that I'll be able to have them covering my table!
12 comments:
hey lindsey! love your blog! i'm so happy we can keep up with you this way. we love you so much, little blue-eyed girl - and that is how i always remember you... :). sending clean and healthy thoughts your way. xoxo.
Linds, you did a great job of explaining the germaphob thing. You've inspired me to go mop my kitchen floor.
So glad to see you wearing the shirt I borrowed from you.
The flowers were beautiful and we can definately do something with those vases.
I love this pop up comments window. I'm going to change mine!
Love you!
Glad to see you're staying clean. Cute blog and way to stay positive, it'll make a huge difference.
So that's the story behind your germaphopia :) Hey guess what? We did something for you!! Check it out on my blog http://daniello-dello.blogspot.com/
HAHAHA linds! it is the truth and to be honest, things just haven't been as clean with out you :) also, you should see what I did for April Fools Day alright? http://mckenzie-lynn.blogspot.com/
Lindsey, you are so awesome! I love your blog already! I read Mel's blog post about how she introduced you for your GPS talk and I totally teared up. You really are an inspiration! :)
You don't know me, but I am a friend of Melanie's. Coming to your blog made me put a story with a face and it literally brought tears to my eyes and made the whole situation so much more real to me. I am sure Mel will keep me updated, but not as good as this blog! I'll be back for the journey! Best of luck.
Hey lindsey I am so glad that you have a blog I just found out about it today! The caughman family wishes you a great rest of the day!!! <3 sophie caughman
Hi Lindsey! It's Steve's sister Emily, I saw a link to your blog on Melissa's and I just wanted to say Hi and let you know that the Hodgens are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers! Hope you are doing alright and wishing you the best!
Emily Hodgen
oh i never want to take fresh flowers for granted! i will buy myself a bouquet or a single bud as often as possible JUST FOR YOU. and the day that you can fill your life with them again, we will all send them your way...
I would never have thought that flowers would compromise you. Good info to know.
you have inspired me to wash my hands more often and use that anti-bacterial stuff more often as well.
Thanks for enlightening me!
Ugh, the things we all take for granted. You definitely have every right to be a germaphobe. Thanks again for keeping us all updated. We send our love.
Post a Comment