Monday, May 25, 2009

Transplant Time!

Yesterday, I checked into the transplant floor. This brand new building is called the “Chili’s Care Center” and it’s great! The transplant patients are isolated from the main hospital and all their germs. Also, since we will be in here over a month, the rooms are bigger. I guess longer stay = bigger rooms. My room has a Vegas like view of the Pyramid( a Memphis landmark) which makes for wonderful sunrises and sunsets. The attached parent’s room isn’t too shabby.
(view outside my window)
Today, I start the “conditioning” process before my transplant on Friday. The goal of this week is to get rid of all my bone marrow, so that I will make room for to Melissa’s marrow. Yesterday and today I will receive high dose chemo (my last round of chemo ever!!). Tuesday thru Friday I will do total body radiation twice a day. Friday morning, Melissa will go into surgery to remove marrow from her hips and I will be transplanted that night. The actual transplant is fairly simple with the marrow hung like a blood transfusion, infusing into my line.

Let’s talk about the rules up here. I feel like every corner I turn, I’m a rebel; breaking all the rules. Stepped outside my room…oops forgot my mask and it didn’t go unnoticed. My little friend Emma was admitted the same day…can’t go into her room. My nieces and nephew must talk to me on a cell phone through the window in the lobby, kind of like prison visitations. The low bacteria diet continues in full enforcement.
















A new way to play I-Spy

talking with thru the window by cell

Let’s talk about the daily routine. Weight X2 to watch for fluid retention as it is an indication of my kidney function and additional fluid that can pool in my lungs. Breathing treatments X4 as a preventative measure for full lung expansion. Mouth care X4 to prevent sores. Bath X2 I guess to stay really clean to prevent infection/bacteria. Last, physical therapy X1 to keep me strong. So, things on this floor are a little different...

16 comments:

M said...

Oh Lindsey, what a tough regiment. We are praying for you and hope all of this will end soon. Your sister is wonderful to do this for you.

Good luck! Keep up the faith!

Pink Hat Kayla G. said...

Hey Lindsey , I praying for you .

Good Luck..

You will need ..

My mom said Hi To get better soon .

Don't Give up ..

You are a verry strong person .
If you need me just send me an e-mail or call me .

Have Hope , Love and Faith and God will get you through .

Love Ya

kajohnson said...

Lindsey, you are amazing!

Rebekah said...

Wow, almost there! One step at a time I guess. I have to admit, even though you may feel like a prisoner, playing I spy through the glass with your little niece is super cute! :) I bet she loves her aunt Lindsey!

Keep being positive and keep your chin up and you'll be better in no time. We pray for you night and day! Love you!

Tina said...

We are keeping you and Melissa in our prayers! Everything sounds so well planned out. Good luck! You are awesome!

Melissa Hodgen said...

You're doing great and not an ounce of cabin fever! And NO MO CHEMO! It's wonderful. Just a few more days and you'll be transplanted! Just keep those I&O's equal and start thinking positive B and T cells and you'll be out of there in no time.

Oh and eat a steak will ya?

Nancy said...

Sounds like things are moving right along. Lindsey, you have a great attitude. I think it's wonderful that they have a place designed so you can talk and see your nephew and neices during this time. Your last chemo ever!!! We love you and you're in all our prayers.
The Cooley's

Judy said...

Lindsey, I am praying for you and Melissa too as you go through this process. Your amazing attitude will help in your recovery. Best of luck! I'll be thinking about you.
Judy

BiblioBags said...

Ooh, breakin' the law, Lindsey! I'll bake a nail file in a cupcake and send it to you.

Keep the faith and good luck this week!

Sepp said...

It sounds like they are really taking care of you there. I had no idea the level of caution that must be exercised for transplant patients. You all are in our prayers.

celeste said...

So good to know that there's a place like St. Jude! You are in our daily thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

Lindsey we are thinking of you and Melissa today!!!!! We love you guys!!

kate said...

Good luck Lindsey!

You and Melissa continue to be in our prayers.

love ya!

The Hall's said...

Lindsey-

This is Melissa's friend from college. You visited us in Alaska. I'm thinking, praying, and sending all of my positive thoughts to you and Melissa today. I love you and your family like you are my own. Best of luck today!

You're such a trooper. Keep up the good spirits.

Shannon Hall

Bela said...

Lindsey, how did it go? We´ve been praying for you, and want the next update as soon as you can! You probably hear this a LOT, but you are fantastic. I love you!!!!!!!!

Jillybins said...

Wow, hope things are going well for you Lindsey and your family as well. What a liberating sentence that last dose of chemo ever! Sounds wonderful to me. Take care stay strong and tell your family hi! You all are in my prayers! :) Jill Yetter