Saturday, May 29, 2010

Anniversary

A year ago from yesterday the 29th, I was in the hospital getting this from my sister.

I am amazed at how time flies. I can't believe that it's been an entire year since I got my bone marrow transplant. At times, it seems like the year took forever, but when I look at the year as a whole, it seemed to fly. I'm so grateful for how well things have gone. I've made it through without any major illnesses(just 2 colds with no fever!) Thank goodness because if I get a fever, I have to be admitted to the hospital for treatment. I have had the graft vs host, but it is now under control.

I though for sure by this time last year, I'd be able to be out and about as much as I wanted, but my body seems to have a different plan. My t-cells aren't progressing much because I'm on immune suppressants. I'm on steroids for 2 more months, and then they should start weaning me off the immune suppressants. My doctor says that going down on the steroids should help my t-cells come back faster. My t-cells have been all over the place with the highest being 230 and hitting an ultimate low 1 month ago being the same count as when I left St. Jude in Sept 09. They are making their way back up, step by step. It is hard to predict where they will be in a couple months or if they will continue to progress up. For now, I'm just crossing my fingers that they just move up fast(with fast being the key word).

I think about the past 2 times I was diagnosed with leukemia and went the chemo route for 2 1/2 years both times. Physically, that was harder because I would get sick and just seeing the chemo would make me sick. I got to the point where I could smell the chemo even though it was in a bag. Emotionally, it was easier because once I went to maintenance(where I went in once a week for chemo instead of everyday), I could be out an about and have a normal lifestyle.

This time around with the transplant, physically it was been a piece of cake. Before my actual transplant, I did chemo for 2 1/2 months and was done!! Beside the minor side effect from the steroids, I've felt well. However, emotionally, this has been harder. I have my ups and downs. At times, things will be going emotionally fine. Then, something triggers and I think about my limitations/ being so restricted. That bring me down. I vent, let it all out, and I'm back up. Everyone said that going through a transplant would be much harder. At first, I thought wow this is so easy because physical I feel just fine. Well, when your emotional come into play, it can over take things. I know though that your emotions are something you can control. You decided how your attitude will be each day. After I vent, I try to stay positive. One thing that helps me stay positive is being around my family. This week, I've had my 2 sisters and their kids around. Things are pretty exciting around here with 3 nieces and 1 nephew at the ages of 5, 3, 2, and 4 months! I love them!

(My hair 1 year after my transplant!)

4 comments:

noelle said...

linds, you are awesome. and you look so, so pretty. i like your curls! :)

Pink Hat Kayla G. said...

you look awesome ! I love you !!!

M said...

You look beautiful, so much softer in curls. Life is still hard for you but you seem to be so grateful for your blessings, especially for your family.

Melissa Hodgen said...

I'm so proud of how you've taken this year in stride. I can't wait to see your post at 2 years (and can't wait to see your hair!)