Since April of 09, I've been giving myself Lovenox shots 2x day in my abdomen. Lovenox is a blood thinner that was started due to a blood clot in my subclavian vein here. Since my central line went in my subclavian vein and was considered a foreign object to my body, I had a greater chance of developing another clot. As protocol you have to stay on Lovenox till the clot is gone and six months after. In my case though, I had to remain on lovenox until my line was taken out, which was just a couple weeks ago. On August 27th, after 1 1/2 yrs, after over 968 injections, I was able to stop those shots!
Medically, things keep getting easier which is encouraging because it shows progress! No more dressing changes three times a week, flushing my line every night, and remembering to give myself a shot morning and night. Now, I just have a smorgasbord of medications to take each day, but hey that's a piece of cake to take. Although my roommates may think I've the most health issues of anyone they know(which face it I probably do), at least they're not seeing what I used to do on a regular basis. I consider myself almost back to normal! Once my t-cells are up to 400 I'll be considering things really normal!
Medically, things keep getting easier which is encouraging because it shows progress! No more dressing changes three times a week, flushing my line every night, and remembering to give myself a shot morning and night. Now, I just have a smorgasbord of medications to take each day, but hey that's a piece of cake to take. Although my roommates may think I've the most health issues of anyone they know(which face it I probably do), at least they're not seeing what I used to do on a regular basis. I consider myself almost back to normal! Once my t-cells are up to 400 I'll be considering things really normal!
Since I like to put pictures on each most and since you don't want to see the picture that would most apply to this post (For some reason, the Lovenox causes bruising at the injection site. Lets just say my stomach is not a pretty picture!) Instead, I will share a picture my sister took awhile ago of the 4 kids I will miss when I go off to college :( I'm sure their will be space in my apt to fit my nieces and nephew..right?!
My next adventure: In a couple days driving over 29 hrs to college at BYU-Idaho...yippee for long hours in the car...
2 comments:
Good luck in school and have fun!
Lindsey dear, can't wait to see you!
Post a Comment